Extensive refurbishment of the upper part of the famous London retsurant and adjacent building to create a new private members club.
Martin Brudnizki Design Studio
‘A table at The Ivy is one of the most sought-after pieces of furniture in London’ AA Gill
The world famous dining room at The Ivy opened its doors in 1917. It has gradually expanded on its West End site to become the definitive theatre restaurant.
The most recent expansion has also been the most complex. The three floors of offices above the restaurant have now become The Club at The Ivy, a new private members club. A fragile adjacent building was converted to form the new entrance.
The entire structure was removed internally to create a glazed lift and staircase tower on a new piled raft. A new floor was added, large new openings were made through to the Ivy building next door and all the new insertions were used, together with additional steel framing, to maintain the stability of the old shell.
Another adjacent building was converted to provide additional back of house facilities, including disabled toilets which were seamlessly integrated behind the oak panelling of the dining room. Meanwhile, new routes were made through the buildings, new services installed and a new stair inserted into the famous turret. All this work took place over two years without closing the restaurant for more than two weeks.
1-5 West St