Extensive refurbishment of a former banking hall, requiring significant structural modifications to create a new Apple Store.

Historic Preservation Award, AIA San Francisco 2017 - Special Commendation
Architecture, AIA California Council 2016 - Merit Award
Excellence in Historic Preservation Award, The Preservation League of New York State 2016

Apple’s third Manhattan store is housed in a building that was first erected in 1921. The ground floor of the two-storey building originally served as a large open banking hall.

The concrete and steel superstructure has two main column lines at the front and rear of the building that support primary beams spanning 43 feet on the upper floor and roof levels. Additional columns and concrete walls supporting the first floor slab are located at the basement level. Exterior walls are comprised of structural masonry walls.

With sensitivity to the building’s historical fabric, we designed and engineered several significant modifications to the structure to facilitate the architect’s design.

Each modification required a sensitive approach to meet the approval of the Landmark Preservation Commission.

Modifications included the addition of new columns and foundations to support an entirely new mezzanine between the lower and upper floors; removal of multiple structural walls and columns combined with installation of new transfer beams to support the first floor slab; new openings in the masonry, concrete walls and slabs; and new roof dunnage. We were also tasked with the underpinning of the existing foundations to create a new elevator pit.

Location
New York

Client
Apple

Architect
Bohlin Cywinski Jackson