Restoration and extension of the Grade II-listed Thorpe Lodge, converting it into art studios and exhibition space for Holland Park School.
Built in 1816, Thorpe Lodge has had several distinguished occupants, such as portrait artist, Henry Tamworth Wells and Governor of the Bank of England, Montagu Norman, before it became part of Holland Park School in 1956. Since then, the building has gradually lost its usefulness as a teaching space.
Eckersley O’Callaghan is providing structural engineering services for the restoration and extension of the building, making it a central asset of the school once again. The structural works involve a carefully reconfigured main entrance to the school and the installation of new art gallery annex space.
The existing basement structure comprises a large volume of corroded steelwork which needs to be replaced to extend the design life of the structure.
The new extension is formed with exposed glue-laminated timber sections and has been designed to support ‘heavy’ exhibits internally from its roof level – the architect has suggested a point load from a ‘Fiat Cinquecento’ car would be reasonable design criteria!