New school teaching block, featuring two distinct facade compositions that contribute to the building’s high energy efficiency.
Founded in 1509, St Paul’s School is one of the top independent schools in the UK. A group of 1960s facilities buildings has been transformed into a new 9,000 square-metre teaching block comprising classrooms, a library, dining hall, offices, chapel, and social spaces including a large atrium.
Eckersley O’Callaghan has engineered the facade for the new L-shaped structure. The building features two different facade compositions. The elevations facing onto the central green courtyard, Founder’s Court, consist of a silicone-glazed aluminium stick system with aluminium spandrel panels and vents.
The external facade is formed by an aluminium stick system combined with solid precast concrete elements.
The precast elements include L-shaped vertical chimneys that provide natural ventilation to the classrooms. The ventilation units have a twofold function. Lower panels ensure natural ventilation rates are achieved, a bottom hung outward opening top light is actuated and linked to the building management system.
The facade forms an integral part of the building’s energy efficiency, providing natural ventilation, solar shading and noise attenuation.
St Paul’s School
Walters & Cohen Architects