Elegant glass structure designed to display carved stones unearthed during an archaeological dig. The stones once formed the archway of a Norman abbey in Winchester.
Consecrated in 1110, Hyde Abbey was a large Benedictine monastery and the final resting place of Alfred the Great. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII, the abbey fell into ruin and was gradually lost to the earth.
Following a three-day archaeological dig, during which 150 volunteers from the local community took part, several carved stones were excavated. The stones form a section of an archway from the cloisters of the former monastery. They have been pieced together and put on display at St Bartholomew’s Church in Winchester.
Eckersley O’Callaghan provided engineering services for the arch’s display structure. We utilised our knowledge of glass to create a highly transparent stand, allowing viewers of the arch to see the stone’s elegant carvings from every angle.
The charitable project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Winchester City Council, Hampshire County Council, Belgarum Estate Agents and Eckersley O’Callaghan.